Saying GOOD BYE in English. Part I

2 años 10 meses antes #527 por arqland
Common Ways of Saying Good bye in English

1. Bye
This is the standard goodbye. It’s short, simple, and you can say it to absolutely anyone. It’s appropriate for friends and family, as well as co-workers and business partners. Even if you use some of the other expressions on this list, you normally still say “bye” as well afterwards.

2. Bye bye!

This sweet and babyish expression is usually only used when speaking to children. Occasionally, adults will say “bye bye” to each other, but only if they know each other quite well and they’re trying to be flirtatious or cute. You don’t want to say this to a colleague or business partner.

3. See you later, See you soon or Talk to you later
These are appropriate for anyone, from co-workers to friends. Often, we say one of these expressions before saying “bye”, because “bye” can sound a little short on its own. Keep in mind that “you” is usually pronounced “ya”.

4. I’ve got to get going or I must be going

These are a good expression to use when you’re ready to leave a social gathering. It would be rude to suddenly say “bye” and leave in the middle of a conversation. Saying “I’ve got to get going” lets people know that you’re ready to start saying “goodbye”. Depending on the situation, you might also briefly explain why you’re leaving. For example, you might say “I’ve got to get going. I have to wake up early tomorrow morning”. This expression acknowledges that you’ve enjoyed yourself and are reluctant to leave.

5. Take it easy

This expression is a more casual way of saying “have a nice day”. “Take it easy” is basically encouraging the person not to work too hard, and to take some time to relax. Keep in mind that “take it easy” is sometimes also said to an angry or irritated person, in which case it means “calm down”.

6. I’m off
This is another informal way of letting people know that you’re ready to say goodbye. You might soften this phrase by saying something like “right then, I’m off” or “anyway, I’m off”. Using expressions like these before saying “I’m off” lets people know that you’re about to announce something. Again, you might also briefly explain why you’re leaving. For example, you could say “anyway, I’m off: I’ve got a busy day tomorrow”. It’s a relaxed way to say goodbye, and helps you depart smoothly.

Por favor, Identificarse o Crear cuenta para unirse a la conversación.

Tiempo de carga de la página: 0.276 segundos